In today's world to get a true friend and to be a good friend is very difficult. The most difficult thing is how to be a good friend to get a good friend. Friendship is all give and take process, if you won't help your friend and won't understand, the same, you will get. But this true that it is difficult to win the affection, appreciation and confidence of others, unless and until you have the basic qualities and characteristics that are related with being a good friend.
1. To be a good friend the most important thing is that you must what you are. Be real. Don't ever try to put on an act before your friend. Be yourself. Let yourself be known and accepted for your own merits, rather than for being somebody that you are not.
2. Honesty is the best policy. Be honest to your friend and also don't be clingy and give each other enough space. A good, honest friendship lasts a lifetime.
3. When you promise, fulfill it. Keep your promises, do what you say you are going to do, and most importantly never lie.
4. Be loyal. If your friend tells you something in confidence, don't talk about it to anyone else. Be dependable and respectful to your friend. Allow them the assurance of your trust and you will have a friend for life. Be reliable so your friend can trust the consistency of your friendship.
5. Always respect your friend, Know the boundaries. Things you and your friend discuss should be treated with care.
6. Don’t wait for friends to call you. Make an effort to keep in touch with people. Everyone is busy, but if you want to maintain good friendships you should be proactive about communications.
7. Don’t be someone that’s only in for complaining about life. When your friend hits it big – celebrate with them. When they’re interviewing for a new job – pull for them. When they want to find love – be gracious and supportive when they find it. There is nothing better in the world than having people that support and care about you. Go out of your way to show your support for your friend.
8. Good friends don’t call up people only to request a favor. Always show your gratitude for a kindness with a simple hand written note. There will be many opportunities to give and take and this will enhance the bond between you.
9. A good friend knows the importance of humor and laughter in the relationship. Laugh at their jokes and share funny stories with each other. You can be sure that laughter will bond you with someone and bring joy to the friendship.
10. When your friend talks, listen carefully to what they say. Make eye contact and give them an opportunity to express themselves completely. Good communication is imperative to good friendships. Offer advice when it is appropriate and never impose your opinion on them.
11.Encouragement to a friend during difficult times is a great way to show support. Sometimes having someone to lean on can help a situation seem manageable.
12. Love and cherish your friend. Show small acts of kindness to express your love. Love them when they are crabby and be quick to forgive. Be open with your love and appreciation for your friendship and never take one day for granted.